Pistachio is a nut and its scientific name is Pistacia Vera. It belongs to Anacardiaceae family. Pistachio is known for its nutritional value and health benefits. They grow to a medium size bushy tree, which are deciduous. Here are some facts about pistachio.
- Origin: origin of pistachio is Iran, but now it is found in many different countries. Syria, Greece, India, Pakistan, Egypt, Afghanistan, Italy, Turkey, Lebanon and United States of America. In US they are found in California.
- Physical conditions for growth: Pistachio grows in hot climates, which are dry too. In their area, winter should also be cold. They grow like the bunch of grapes and. They give the first fruit after 10 years nearly and after that they remain productive for centuries.
- Health benefits: The are tasty but really nutritious too. Like other dry fruits they are a great source of proteins, minerals and fats. A 100 g pistachio contains 557 calories.
- Effects of cholesterol: Pistachio is known for reducing bad cholesterol LDL and it enhances the level of good cholesterol in blood. It also has good antioxidant properties.
- Allergies: Many people are allergic to pistachio. The reason of this allergy is anacardic acid, which is present in many other nuts too. May include skin itching, breathing problems, abdomen pain and vomiting.